Friday, July 6, 2012

Something new to consider.

Yesterday included another trip to Duke (the car just knows where to go by now).  This time we went to the Adult Bone Marrow Transplant Clinic.  My oncologist referred me there to have an initial evaluation and assessment, concerning the future possibility of a bone marrow transplant.  Since my particular type of cancer is difficult to get into remission, and often difficult to keep from recurring, a BMT is a method utilized to assist in preventing recurrance.  Our daughter worked as an RN in the Pediatric Bone Marrow Transplant unit at Duke several years ago and has been a great source of information and understanding.  To say that it is complex and amazing is an understatement.  We asked a lot of questions and struggled to absorb the answers.  I am definitely a candidate for an autologous  transplant, which is a procedure using my own stem cells (versus donor cells), and is much easier on my body since the cells will not be considered "foreign".  My oncologist will talk with the doctor from BMT and then with us about whether this approach will be right for me and if it is something we should pursue.  It could happen as soon as October, or it could be sometime early next year.

It seems that just as I start coming to grips with my life as a cancer patient, something new pops up and rattles things back up a bit.  In this instance we might wind up living in Durham for a couple of months, close to the BMT Clinic, while I recover.  Never a dull moment.  But that is where it helps to know that God is in charge, and He will provide for all of our needs.  We may not be able to clearly see our way through the maze of details and arrangements, but then we don't really have to.  If that is the path that the Lord has for me, He will open all the necessary doors, calm the raging seas and provide a way for us to follow.  Our objective must be to stay focused on Him, and not on our circumstances.

1 comment:

  1. Jim, We saw Holly at church today and learned of your lymphoma battle. Your motto of "We Can Beat This" is a good one. We will be on the sidelines cheering and praying you on! We hope to see you soon. Love, Judy & Jim Leach

    ReplyDelete