Monday, July 23, 2012

Optimistic outlook.

Battling cancer with an optimistic and upbeat attitude is a challenging task.  I would think that for most people having just been diagnosed with cancer, their initial reaction is probably not one of upbeat optimism.  I know mine wasn't.  As I have mentioned before, I have been doing a lot of reading, trying to gain strength and hope from the experience of others.  And I have found an amazing number of stories, from people just like you and me, who steadfastly refuse to just lay down and die.  Rather, they dig down deep, and muster an inner strength and determination that propels them ever onward and upward.  I read about a woman named Nancy, who has battled cancer in various forms, for over 20 years, starting at age 39.  She says ".. I have had over 14 types of chemotherapy or hormone therapy, 12 surgical procedures, 12 weeks of radiation therapy, and more bone scans, MRI's, PET scans and other scans than I could count."  She also says "We never know how much courage and strength we have until we are put to the test."  And finally "You are unique, and how you face challenges in life and respond to those challenges is unique to you.  You are not a statistic!  I have always taken on the approach that if statistics say there is a one in 100 chance for survival, the other 99 might as well move over, because I am heading for the winning position at the finish line."  Nancy's inspirational story should challenge us all.

Then there is Ethan, a 38 year old who has already battled Hodgkin's Lymphoma twice.  In addition to chemotherapy, he has had 2 different bone marrow transplants, one using his own cells and the other from a donor.  Amazingly, part way through his second series of treatments, Ethan ran in the Disney half-marathon.  Not that I have started training to compete in any road races, but Ethan's spirit of drive and determination has been motivational for me.  He is quoted as saying "I want to debunk the perception that there are winners and losers with cancer - you either win and you beat it or you lose and you die.  The reality is that there's an in between.  There are plenty of people like me who learn that there are drugs that will keep you alive longer.  I realize that I can live with cancer - and still call myself a winner and a survivor."

Recent medical advances in the treatment of cancer are numerous, and many more lie just ahead.  Monoclonal antibodies are one exciting new approach that allows the targeting of specific cancer cells, rather than the more generalized and destructive nature of chemotherapy.  Each year brings new and better ways to treat and potentially cure cancer.  And it may not be that long before they find a way to more effectively treat and cure my rare and aggressive form of the disease.  The current treatments may be able to cure my Lymphoma, and that is our fervent prayer.  But if not, there is definitely hope on the horizon.

I am optimistic that one day I will again be cancer free.  Between the diligent work of medical professionals, and the power of prayer to my Almighty God, I am confident that better days lie ahead.  The path that I walk today is not one that I welcome, but it is what it is.  My life may be somewhat harder, but it will keep going.  My faith has been strengthened in the past when I encountered difficulties and trials, and I have no doubt it will grow stronger in the days ahead as I learn to cast my burdens upon Him.  So I will take things one day at a time, knowing in my heart that we're going to beat this.  Anything less simply isn't an option.

No comments:

Post a Comment