Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Glass half full.

I find that quite often my morning walks are a time of quiet communion with my Lord.  This morning my thoughts centered on how many blessings He has poured out upon me.


Yes I have cancer.  And some might wonder how it is possible to dwell upon my many blessings when this unwelcome monster has invaded my body.  But that cancer is only a part of my existence - and it will be dealt with in due course.  There are so many other things in my life that are so much more wonderful and marvelous.  Last week we spent several days with our son, our daughter-in-law and 3 grandchildren at the beach in Charleston.  We came home Saturday only to be joined by our daughter and 3 grandchildren, and our son-in-law will join us mid week.  Family time together is one of our greatest blessings.  I am being treated for my cancer at one of the finest medical facilities in the United States, if not the world.  And considering the very lengthy list of possible side effects from chemotherapy, I am fortunate to have only lost what little hair I had, and I feel more fatigued than usual.  How blessed is that.  As I walked, my mind wandered through an almost endless list of physical possessions that surround me and make my life more comfortable and enjoyable.  And even more importantly, I have so many other less tangible blessings, including the love of my marvelous wife and my wonderful family, the comfort afforded me by living in the great U.S.A. (with all of it's imperfections), and the peace and joy of knowing my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

Whether I consider my glass half full or half empty is a choice that is mine to make.  And I choose half full.

1 comment: