Friday, June 29, 2012

So far so good.

It was one week ago today that I finished the initial phase (3 consecutive daily treatments) of my first chemotherapy cycle.  Next Tuesday I start the final phase which consists of one treatment weekly for three weeks.  Last week was a combination of drugs, a cocktail, whereas the next three weeks are a single new drug.  So far I am feeling just fine and have experienced no real side effects of the treatments.  When I had the chemo treatments 12 years ago my experience was similar, with almost no side effects.  A friend, who is in the health care community, recently said that apparently my body (body chemistry, physical condition, etc) is able to tolerate the treatments well, and that future treatments may well follow the same pattern.  That is not a guarantee but I'll take it.  How I react to the new drug next week remains to be seen, but I am hopeful that it will also be well tolerated.  The primary side effect for most people is mouth sores, which can impact your ability/willingness to eat.  I am following all the guidelines for good oral care and hoping that they too will pass me by, or at least be more of an irritant than a problem.  We shall see.

The process of physical adjustment is going well.  The emotional aspect is coming along more slowly although it definitely is heading in the right direction.  Our minds and emotions just need need more time to get on top of the situation.  I think a lot about my family and how they are adjusting and coping.  I am the one who gets most of the focus and concern, but their needs are every bit as real and I think and worry about them often.  I know that we are all being lifted up in the prayers and thoughts of many many friends, and that is comforting.

If someone is reading this post and is about to begin chemotherapy treatments, I hope that I can act as a source of hope to them.  I am proof that chemo does not have to be totally debilitating.  You may not be as fortunate as I and be almost free of side effects, but it can be tolerable.  Fear of the unknown is powerful, but try to push that fear aside and dwell for now on what is possible. 

No comments:

Post a Comment