Wednesday, August 29, 2012

I'm doing well.

Yesterday was a treatment day at Duke, so I had some blood drawn, saw the doctor and took on another charge of Pralatrexate.  This is the drug that has a strong tendency to cause sores in the mouth, throat or esophagus, usually after about 4 to 5 days.  It is a condition known as mucositis and can be quite severe.  Sometimes the patient is suffering such pain and discomfort that it is the basis for delaying further treatment until it subsides.  During Cycle 1, I received two consecutive weekly infusions of Pralatrexate and had only minor throat irritation that lasted only 2 or 3 days.  With Cycle 2, I received one treatment last week, another yesterday and my third is scheduled next Tuesday.  The doctor asked how my mouth was after last week's treatment and I was pleased to report that I have had absolutely no reaction at all, not one hint of a sore anywhere.  She said she was glad to hear that.  I responded that I was elated.

Numerous times I have commented here about how well I am responding to these treatments and how, with the exception of some fatigue, I have been able to avoid most of the side effects normally associated with chemotherapy.  I marvel each day at how well I feel.  I'm certainly not feeling "normal" but I'm not that awfully far away from the old me.  To be honest, I have often thought that perhaps I should not be discussing how well things are going here on my blog.  I was concerned that another cancer patient might read about it and feel even worse because they are struggling and not doing as well as I am.  But then I decided that I might actually be an encouragement to others and be able to give them hope.  No where is it written that everyone being treated for cancer with chemotherapy and/or radiation must suffer and endure a poor quality of life.  That simply is not the case and I am living proof.  So why am I able to avoid the perils that are experienced by so many?  No one really knows the answer to that.  The drugs administered in chemotherapy effect different people in different ways.  I know of people who have had terrible reactions to Pralatrexate and Vincristine, two of the drugs that I receive.  I have had seemingly no reactions at all to either of them.  Part of it is body chemistry and how your particular body responds to various foreign substances.  Beyond that I believe that your psychological makeup plays a big role.  I am a fighter by nature (not literally) and tend to confront most things head on.  I am also an optimist and am inclined to look for the positive side of things.  And last, but by no means least, a am a man of great faith.  I know that my Heavenly Father loves me and will be with me through any of the trials and tribulations that this life can throw at me.  So if you add all of that together, the strength of my body, the strength of my outlook and the strength of my faith in my Lord and Savior, I believe you have most of the answer as to why I am doing so well. It is my hope that I may be an encouragement to others who are facing their own trials or struggles, whether it be cancer or some other very troublesome situation.

Certainly there is no guarantee that the future will be the same as the past, but I definitely like the way the trend line is going :-)

1 comment:

  1. Your positive outlook & great faith are an inspiration to anyone following your blog. Praying for your recovery.

    Vicky & Ken

    ReplyDelete