Thursday, March 14, 2013

Day 8.

We are approaching the end of Day 8 and my various counts have all pretty much reached zero. Typically, transplant patients hit bottom about Day 7 to Day 10 and I am proving to be very typical. After hitting bottom, the body slowly but steadily begins to rebuild what was previously destroyed during the high dose chemotherapy.  But in the interim I have no immune system, which makes me highly susceptible to any germ or infection that might come my way.  My gas tank gauge is below empty and I have barely enough energy to get from bed to the breakfast table.  My bodily reserves have been depleted.  Over the last 3 days I have received three platelet infusions, two blood transfusions, two infusions each of potassium and magnesium, plus a few others that promptly slipped my mind.  We spent four hours Tuesday night in the hospital getting infused with various antibiotics to counteract a temperature that I developed (which is quite common).  And then there are the mouth sores that have formed in my mouth, esophagus and stomach, which makes eating a bit more difficult.

Other than that I feel just fine.

Seriously, I would say this has been one of the least pleasant weeks of my entire life.  But I seem to be sleeping well and food continues to taste "good", both of which are critical in the rebuilding process.  Do I feel good - No!  Do I feeling like I am going to die - No!  Thanks to all for your thoughts and prayers.  More later.

No comments:

Post a Comment