Sunday, March 17, 2013

Day 11

My post from 3 days ago was just about at the low point of everything.  But since then I have started to rebound.  My white blood cell count, one of the most closely followed metrics, was at less than 0.1 for 3 or 4 consecutive days.  Then all of a sudden yesterday it jumped to 0.7 and today reached 2.2 (normal range is 3.2 to 9.8).  This is solid evidence that my stem cells have begun rebuilding my bone marrow, which in turn produces lots of the good things my body needs, like white cells, red cells, hemoglobin, platelets, etc., and last but not least my immune system.  I am on the road back and could not be more thrilled

As a result of having some semblance of an immune system, things are starting to healing again, like my mouth sores.  They are still there but not as severely as before, which means that eating is becoming less of a chore.  My energy level for the last few days has been somewhat better than before, but a long way from being acceptable.  The whole process has left my mind in a bit of a state of disarray.  Not sure how much has been the drugs and how much has been the stress, but sleep has been fitful at times and it is difficult to focus on  much of anything.

But I definitely would say that I feel I have turned the corner.  I wouldn't say that I feel good, but I have certainly felt worse and expect that things will continue to improve over the coming days.  There is still a long way to go before things will be back to "normal", but I am now finally heading in the right direction.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Jim,
    For some reason, you have been on my mind a lot lately! It was wonderful to hear things are looking up. Just wanted you to know my mind is often in a state of disarray, sometimes I think I should have been a blond (hope I don't offend anyone!)
    I hope your recuperation is even better than expected. Please let me know if there is anything we can do for you and Holly. Look forward to seeing you soon! God bless and take care!
    Anne

    ReplyDelete