Monday, December 3, 2012

Trust and faith.

I read something at church yesterday, and was struck by how very true it is.  "Allow us to be still, in the midst of what our minds cannot fully grasp, and what our lips cannot fully explain."  And that, in turn, reminded me of the scripture:

Be still, and know that I am God.  Psalm 46:10

Only God's knowledge is perfect.  Only He knows what our future holds.  My mind is capable of understanding and comprehending much about my cancer, and it's implications on my life, and the lives of those around me.  But I reach a point where my capacity to grasp and discern are simply inadequate.  I reach a point where I can no longer understand or comprehend.  That is when I have to begin to trust in Him.

Trusting is not easy; in fact it is quite difficult.  One definition of trust is "to give to for safekeeping".  To truly trust in someone else, with something that is very important to you, requires tremendous faith in that someone.  

Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.  Hebrews 11:1

I have faith that my Heavenly Father loves me, and has His perfect plan for my life.  I have faith that the God who created the heavens and the earth, is the same God that knew me before I was formed in my mother's womb.  And I have faith that He will deliver me from this disease that was discovered in my body 6 months ago.  I don't know exactly how that deliverance will manifest itself, but my faith in Him allows me to trust that He is in control, and will see me through this ordeal.

Can my mind fully grasp this conviction, and can my lips fully explain it?  No!  Do I struggle with it on a daily basis?  Yes!  But fortunately my Lord of Lords, and King of Kings, reigns over heaven and earth for eternity, and He alone is worthy of my total trust and faith.  And a long as I know that in my heart of hearts, I can sleep well at night.

No comments:

Post a Comment