Friday, December 14, 2012

Joy and sorrow.

I started to write a new post, confirming that last Tuesday was indeed my last chemptherapy treatment at Duke.    My mood up until now has been one of joy and relief, knowing that I would not be having any more toxic drugs pumped into my system.

But as I was starting to write, the news about the school shooting in Connecticut began to unfold.  Words are so inadequate to attempt to describe that situation.  My mind cannot begin to comprehend the shock and the grief that has been experienced by those involved.  The days and weeks that lie ahead will entail emotional trauma beyond that which most of us will ever know.  I can't imagine what it must be like to be the parents of one of the slain children.

My emotional battles and struggles, as I endeavor to understand and cope with my cancer, are very real and very complicated.  But they do not compare to those of the families and friends of those who have lost loved ones in this senseless tragedy.  May our thoughts and prayers lift up all of those in need, and may our Heavenly Father be with them all.

1 comment:

  1. I agree, Jim. Cancer has its emotional and psychological battlefields but in comparison to the horrendous and needless shooting in CT, we are very fortunate people.

    I continue to read every update. I am glad you are in the "post" phase.
    Cyndi Heath
    http://advocateofhope.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete