Thursday, December 20, 2012

A very special Christmas

I already have my Christmas present from Santa this year.  My last chemo treatment was over a week ago and I have no more scheduled.  I have reassessment testing on Dec 27, but that is a walk in the park compared with anything I ever received in the Treatment Center.  So jolly old Saint Nicholas made an early delivery this year at the Davis house.




We have already started our holiday visits and are currently at our daughter's home in western North Carolina.  The house is all decorated for the season, and the three little ones, 5, 2 and 8 months, certainly add lots of excitement and energy to our lives.  Over the coming weekend we will head an hour down the road to South Carolina to be with our son and his family for Christmas.  With 12, 10 and 4 year old grand kids, the excitement and energy are sure to continue.

For someone who, back in June, wasn't even sure he would be alive to see Christmas this year, this is going to be a very special Christmas season.  I was recently asked if having cancer makes you appreciate things more.  The answer is unequivocally YES!  The tragic school shootings in Connecticut were yet another reminder that none of us is guaranteed one more day on this earth.  So please, for even just one moment, stop and think about those around you and how very special they are to you, each and every one.

The lyrics from an Alicia Keys song,"Like You'll Never See Me Again", express it so well:


If I had no more time
No more time left to be here
Would you cherish what we had?
Was it everything that you were looking for?
If I couldn't feel your touch
And no longer were you with me 
I'd be wishing you were here 
To be everything that I'd be looking for 
I don't wanna forget the present is a gift 
And I don't wanna take for granted the time you may have here with me 
'Cause Lord only knows another day is not really guaranteed 

So every time you hold me 
Hold me like this is the last time 
Every time you kiss me 
Kiss me like you'll never see me again 
Every time you touch me 
Touch me like this is the last time 
Promise that you'll love me 
Love me like you'll never see me again 

No comments:

Post a Comment