Saturday, February 22, 2014

Waiting for the action to start

It has been a couple of weeks since my last post, and most of the focus has been on my lower back and right leg.  The tumor on my spine was putting pressure on my spine and the nerves to my right leg.  The result was very intense pain in both the back and leg.  The radiation treatments were effective in significantly reducing or eliminating the tumor, which relieved the pressure, which in turn relieved the pain.  I am probably back to about 90% of normal, with some residual pain and some weakness in my leg.  I begin physical therapy in another week or so and hopefully that will take care of the last 10%.

Next week I go to Duke on Monday for a series of tests, that should complete all of the requirements for the clinical trial I am hoping to get into.  I should know by mid week if I have been approved, which looks likely, and then we proceed on to treatment.  My first treatment has been tentatively scheduled for March 4, and I am looking forward to getting started.  It may sound odd that I am looking forward to starting chemotherapy, but this cancer isn't going to go away by itself.  And the sooner we get the treatments started, the sooner it gets dealt with.  Sitting and waiting is not one of my strong suits.

My mental outlook is quite good, although it is difficult to stay totally positive when there is a constant ache/pain in your back and leg.  That is distracting.  But I know that we have beaten this monster before and I fully intend to do it again. My determination, a world class medical team, your prayers, and the everpresent Hand of God combined to give me victory in my last battle, and this is just another bump in the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment