Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Taking it easy

The last week has been restful, and there are still a few more days remaining before my transplant kicks into high gear. The middle of last week was spent getting a chemo treatment to begin conditioning my body for the stem cell collection.  All this week I have been receiving daily Neupogen shots to boost the rebuilding of my cell counts, and then next week those new cells will be harvested in a process called Apheresis.  To facilitate the Apheresis, next Tuesday I will have a Hickman Port installed, which is a central venous line used to access my blood stream and/or administer chemotherapy, without having to turn the veins in my arms into pin cushions.  Then on Wednesday and Thursday they will connect to that Hickman and the collection begins.

Aside from having to make a daily trip to my local Oncologist's office for the shots, which will continue through next Wednesday, I have not had any other cancer related activities going on in my life (which is hard to comprehend).  It has just been a restful period to rebuild my strength and enjoy some down time.  Periods like that have been hard to come by since last June.  The activity levels will be increasing dramatically in the coming weeks, but for now we are making the most of the peace and quiet.  As I have said numerous times before, we are taking things one day at a time, and these days aren't at all hard to handle.  Gotta run - I think it is time for a nap :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment